Tiwa Savages Comment On Gender Equality Stirs Debate On Twitter

Award-winning singer, Tiwa Savage, had Nigerians on Twitter in a stir over her comments on gender equality. 
In a recent interview with The Beat 99.9 FM, the singer and mother made a stunning revelation about her view on gender equality and roles.
“It’s real. I’m not going to say I’m completely comfortable with it but it is what it is. You have to deal with it. If it means you have to work 10 times harder than your male counterparts, don’t complain about it, do what you have to do.
We all celebrate people like Oprah and Mo Abudu and we don’t actually realize what they have to do to get to that point. They probably had to do 20 times (more) than their male counterparts. Once you get there, you don’t complain about how you get there. So, whatever it is you have to do as a female, you just have to get it done.
I know I’ll (ruffle) a few feathers but I also don’t think men and women are equal. I don’t think that’s how God created us… especially in the household anyway. So I think as females… yeah we can be strong in our career, but when we are home we have to realize that the man is the head of the house.”
The revelation came days after she reacted to making BBC Top 100 Women List.
“Don’t let being a woman hinder you, I have and still have to fight to get people to respect and appreciate my work and not limit me because I am female so this really encourages me to keep pushing and breaking boundaries,” she said.
In her reaction, Tiwa told women not to allow their role as women in society to limit them from reaching their full potential.
Nigerians were on different sides of the spectrum on the topic of gender equality and roles.
See their reactions below:
 

No comments: